Monday, March 14, 2011

Milestones of our life

Milestones of your life? Ever heard of it?

Sometimes I think life is all about achieving the pre-determined milestones of your life. Despite the various effort to not fall into the pre-determined milestones, but yet, we do.

Graduation from school or college was a milestone set by your parents. Which most of us achieved and was simply a basic requirement.

Your first love was somehow another milestone of your life. When everyone began dating, why aren't you? You began the search of a companionship.

Your first job was another essential milestone of your life. Meals don't come free do they? At least for most of us.

There onwards, came along was your first car, property, designer handbag, luxurious holiday and the various materialistic milestones of your life. We are indeed living in a materialistic world, which without some ownership of these items, we wouldn't feel complete.

Next come the question of settling down. Are you dating someone seriously? Has marriage been discussed? How many kids would you like to have in the future? And some people would say, a family is not complete without children. And I thought, why settle for the sake of settling. Why can't you just enjoy the pure companionship of the other. But yet, these are again milestones of your life.

The is what I hate most. The question of, "Where do you see yourself in another 3 or 5 years time?" If it was a job interview, I would've replied provided the guts, my 3 or 5 years plan would depend on what the company has to offer me in terms of career progression. Why asked me on my long term plans, when you aren't committing any to me? If you had, what am I doing here in an interview with you.

Given the choice to be honest about the milestone of my life, I would say... I have none. I'm not dumb nor lack of ambitions. But why can't we just live life in a short term way.