Thursday, June 2, 2011

Astonishing career offers within weeks

2nd week of May:

Went for an interview with Tesco, after much urges from an ex-colleague. He was a great help, providing advises on how to present my resume in an impressive way, insights of the background of Tesco without myself lifting a finger on Wikipedia or Google so as to make the adequate last minute research of the Company, tips on the questions to expect during 1st and 2nd interviews including the suggested or ideal answers and nevertheless the 101 reasons for me to leave PwC for Tesco. There were some elements of selfishness in his various gestures, perhaps he just wanted more "one-of-a-kind" in his team or perhaps it was his reputation at stake after him selling me hard to his bosses, irregardless of whatever the reasons behind it, the gratitude for his actions have anchored itself within me. After the 1st and 2nd interview, I got the offer informally. Informally in the sense that my ex-colleague has informed me that his bosses have short listed me and they are patient enough to hold the position vacant for the next two months, in the benefit of me. However, offer letter has yet to be issued and there were no expected date communicated to me on the issuance of it. Merry me, when the news were made known to me. Rushed home to celebrate the good news... but... ended up drinking alone with one of my many favourites of Single Malt brands, Highland Park till 3 am.

3rd week of May:

Got head hunted by Kuwait Finance House. Scheduled an interview on 6th June 2011. Can feel my increasing marketability. The head hunted interview is a boost to my self confidence. I'm within the mass market.

1st week of June:

Astonishingly, I was head hunted again by another recruitment agency for an oil and gas company. I was given the opportunity to work on the shared service team for Middle East market or the Europe market with working shifts suiting to the respective markets office hours. Middle East would be 12.30pm to 9.30pm whereas Europe market would be 4.30pm to 1.30am. I thought to myself, this is perfect for me. I'm not a morning person. Feeling ecstatic, rushed home to celebrate and to receive a bear hug or a pat on the shoulder for my various recent career opportunities... but... a private jet ended up at my place (meaning fong fei kei in Chinese a.k.a he didn't turn up for the date). Disappointed? Slightly, but I understand the fact that he will leave in near future and I might as well not develop the dependency for his presence, care or concern in my day-to-day life.

Was boasting to a friend on my various career opportunities and the conversation goes:-

Me: I actually got head hunted once a week.
Him: Wah, best. Belanja makan. I'm happy for you.
Me: Haven't accept the offer yet.
Him: Haven't accept also belanja.
Me: Crazy, it's like I didn't win the lottery but can buy the bungalow.
Him: Eh, go for interview first. Polish your skills. Get offer letter like getting medals. Then reject them like reject men. (I almost fell off the chair laughing at his last comment)

He's right in a way. I do feel the "wanted-ness" with these various career opportunities within these few weeks. It's as though I'm 18 once again and there's various men lining up in the queue for me. Except the difference this time is, I know I've worked hard for this reward and the amount of effort I put in my career is going to give me the equivalent reward or perhaps the expected reward in return. Very different from relationships, when results are always in an ambigous stage.

I'm a freako. After babbling for an hour or so, I can manage to relate work/career to relationships??? What the heck.. Let's call it bewilderment and let's call it a night.